Saturday, March 31, 2007

Fantasy Baseball advice, and Baseball Predictions

So I've done 4 Fantasy Baseball Drafts already, and don't plan on doing any more, so I think I can give out some advice and predictions.
For the rules, I usually play in leagues that are not 5X5, because I think OBP, Slugging, and Fielding % are important. For pitching, I think Holds are important because it represents a real team, and I also have K ratios like K/9 or K/BB. I also play with LF, CF, RF because I wouldn't think Manny would want to play in Center. The problem with this is that Ichiro could play LF if he wanted to, but why would you want to play him there? It's like playing Reyes at 1b because you have two SS's and no 1b.
Catcher:
If you're not getting a Mauer, Martinez, or McCann, you might as well hold off til the end. I don't really weight catchers much after this because they just don't contribute that much.
Sleepers: Paulino on Pittsburgh, Coste on Philadelphia, and Ianetta on Colorado. All three have chance to get .300 with 10 hrs which is great late in the draft. For a non-prospect sleeper, Johnny Estrada is not a bad pickup, and for a guy who's going later than he should, Piazza might be a good pickup as well.
First Baseman:
Obviously this has the best guys at the top, but it is also the deepest, so if you don't get a Pujols, DLee, Howard, Tex, Morneau, or Berkman, I'd rather just wait later for guys who are going later like Adrian Gonzalez, Conor Jackson, or Lyle Overbay. For a guy to not draft, but keep an eye on, I'd look for Ryan Shealy or Casey Kotchman.
Second Baseman:
After Chase Utley, I wouldn't really take a guy early unless Cano falls. I'm a big fan of Kendrick, and usually take him in the 6th round or so. I'm pretty sure he'll hit .310 10 hr 20 sb, since he is athletic, and hit 370 in the Minors. After that, I'd just wait because you can always get guys like Jose Lope, Ian Kinsler, Jose Vidro, Luis Castillo, or Jorge Cantu late.
Third Baseman:
Possibly just as deep as 1b, but not as deep at the top, as the cream consists of A-Rod, DWright, and Miguel Cabrera. I love this position because I saw Melvin Mora and Joe Crede taken in the 16th round. And I didn't even take a 3b yet, I took Chad Tracy in the 17th round. The sleepers I love are Alex Gordon, and Mark Teahen, both Royals. I think they'll both have numbers around 290 25 hr and 20 sb with 90 rbis each. Not on draft radar's, but someone to think about is Kevin Kouzmanoff, who had a great spring training, and could be great all season.
Shortstop:
Deeper up top than it used to be with Reyes up in first, and then a slew of good ones in Jeter, Tejada, Rollins, and Hanley Ramirez. I'm pretty big on Hanley, because his stats are almost identical to Reyes' last year and he's taken some 40 picks later. I'm also really big on Carlos Guillen, who went 20 20 last year and had the highest OPS of all SS, though for some reason, Fantasy "Experts" rank him the 11th best SS after Bill Hall and Felipe Lopez. I'm also a big believer in Stephen Drew and Troy Tulowitzki.
DH:
Ortiz is a 1b is Yahoo! but a DH in ESPN. Nevertheless, I think he's being draft too low, because he has just as good of numbers as Howard, because he's doing it for more years, and if he didn't miss games last year, he would exactly as good. Hafner, I think is also a definite 2nd round pick. His had 42 hr last year and he didn't play a full season as usual. If he could get a full season, he'd be Ortiz, but he hasn't done it yet, so I drop him to the middle of the 2nd round.
Left Fielder:
Soriano and Crawford are the cream of the crop. Soriano is a bit overrated, and not as good in non 5x5 leagues, and Crawford is basically Reyes in LF, so he's not as good, but fairly good. LF as whole is not as deep as people think. After those two you have Manny, who is being underrated for a guy who hit .320 and 35 last year, and then Carlos Lee, Jason Bay, and Matt Holliday, all great guys to have because they have good numbers and double digit on SBs. Markakis will have a great year I think, and Bonds is probably being rated low. Sure he won't play more than 130 games, but he will probably get 280 400 550 oand 28 or so hr at worst.
Center Fielder:
Beltran is a bit overrated I think, though he might get more SBs, his average has never been great. Markakis is eligible for all OF positions so he might be a good option here too. I'm real big on Willy Taveras, because he'll hit in front of good hitters, hit in Coors, and have a lot of SBs I think. Chris B. Young would be a good late pickup too, since he'll probably go 270 15 25, and same for Shane Victorino.
Right Fielder:
I think Dye is going being underrated a bit here, he won't repeat last year, but he won't implode all of a sudden because of old age. Sheffield is also underrated, I expect him to be out to prove something and hitting in the middle of a potent Detroit lineup will do him good. Brad Hawpe is also a great late pickup, because I think he'll do even better than last year, and no one seemed to notice how good his last year was. Carlos Quentin was on people's radar but after his horrid ST, I'd say don't draft him, he's a wait and see player. I'm pretty high on Jose Guillen, he's got something to prove, and he's tearing it up in Spring Training (along with Raul Ibanez and Beltre). Reed Johnson wouldn't be bad for a backup OF too, he has a good average, and plays all the OF positions. For super Sleepers, I'd say pick Chris Snelling, a M's Fan favorite. He's doing real well in ST.
Starting Pitchers:
After Santana I'd rank it Oswalt and Carpenter tied, then Peavy and Halladay, then Felix, Matsuzaka, and Bonderman. Unless you get an elite pitcher, I like to take pitchers later. Some sleepers are Chuck James, Bartolo Colon, Eric Bedard, Kei Igawa, Rich Harden (who's having an amazing spring and looks healthy, same as Ben Sheets but 100 picks later), Ian Snell, and Tim Hudson (Not back to Cy Young form, but definetley back on track, a good buy low candidate). For super sleeper prospects, Phil Huges, Homer Bailey, and Mike Pelfrey are good bets, as are Tim Lincecum, Andrew Miller, and Adam Miller.
Closers:
The best closers are amazing, helping in tons of categories including, K's, WHIP, ERA, and IP. Nathan is the best, though he doesn't get the most saves, followed closely by K-Rod, Street, BJ Ryan, Wagner, and then Rivera. Others just below this are Papelbon, Putz, Hoffman, and Cordero. This year, there doesn't seem to be many undecided closer who'll be lights out, so I'd put a premium on elite closers this year. Get a sure thing instead of a guy who'll just get you saves for half a season who drags down your ERA and WHIP.
Relief Pitchers:
Atlanta did a good job getting setup pitching, and Mike Gonzalez and Rafael Soriano would be a good bet to close once the Braves realize Wickman sucks. Gagne is sure to get injured (I think he already is), so definitely pick up Otsuka who was lights out last year and in the WBC. For the Dodgers, I'd get both Broxton and Saito, both of whom were lights out. For setup men, I'd get perrenial all-stars Rincon, Shields, or Linebrink, and then a Pat Neshek-type. The Twins have a ton of great relief pitching, as to the Angels and A's, so get their guys, and just get teams that have a lot of leads.

Predictions:
AL MVP: 1. Vlad Guerrero 2. Ortiz 3. A-Rod
I think if Weaver and Colon get back, the Angel's will be good, especially if they get the production from their prospects like I expect. Vlad will win this with his great numbers. Ortiz will put up a typically good year, but will fall just short becuase there's always going to be a guy who's just as good, and actually plays defense. A-Rod will be rejuvinated this year, but it's hard giving it to a guy who has 12 all-stars on his team.
NL MVP: 1. Albert Pujols 2. Ryan Howard 3. David Wright
Pujols is so consistent, and I think his team will win the division easily this year. Howard will put up great numbers again, but if he barely won with 58 hr, he's not going to win with 50 hr, even if he does get 180 walks. Wright will finally put together a full year and either put up a 335 average of 40 hrs.
AL Cy Young: 1. Johan Santana 2. Rich Harden 3. Daisuke Matsuzaka 4. Jeremy Bonderman
I'm not putting John Lackey, because I hate him and he's ugly. Santana won the triple crown last year so... picking him is a no brainer. He also should have 3 in a row right now. Harden is looking amazing in spring training and I think he's one of the best pitchers if he's healthy. Matsuzaka will mistify hitters with his new pitches and will have a lot of wins. Bonderman is also a nice pick to make. Not sure how many wins Felix will have because of our offense.
NL Cy Young: 1. Roy Oswalt 2. Cris Carpenter 3. John Smoltz 4. Carlos Zambrano
Oswalt has been one of the top pitchers for a while now, and though his K's have been declining, I think his new changeup will keep his hitters honest. Carpenter is also developing a changeup, but I think Oswalt will just have a better season if ever so slightly. Smoltz is looking in top form, and looks to lead the Braves to a wild card spot which would get him heavy consideration. Zambrano is in a contract year, but I've never been a huge fan.
AL Rookie of the year: 1. Alex Gordon 2. Daisuke Matsuzaka 3. Delmon Young
For the second year in a row, the rookies will be amazing, no Angel Berroa crap. Gordon will hit 290 25 20 and save the Royals from being the most pathetic team. Matsuzaka will do better but will lose some votes because of his questionable rookie status. Delmon Young will do well, but by not being the best player on his team, he will look like less of a star. His low BB rate is also a problem.
NL Rookie of the year: 1. Kevin Kouzmanoff 2. Troy Tulowitzki 3. Chris B. Young
Kouzmanoff is hitting Adrian Gonzalez-like in ST, and looks to hit 280 with 25 hrs, great for his park. Tulowitzki will hit 300 with 15 15. Young will be 20 20, but I have a hard time seeing him hit higher than 275. I'm not sure if Stephen Drew is a rookie, if he is, then he'll be pretty high up, as I think he'll hit 300 with 10 hr and 20 sb.
Al Teams in the playoffs: NL Teams in playoffs:
1. Yankees 1. Mets
2. Tigers 2. Cardinals
3. Angels 3. Dodgers
WC. Red Sox (I can see Twins) WC. Phillies (I can see Padres or Braves)
Angels over Yanks, Red Sox over Tigers
Mets over Dodgers, Cardinals over Phillies
Angels over Red Sox, Mets over Cardinals
Angels over Mets

I'd say Angels over Yanks because I like their front line starters more. I think Lackey, Colon, Weaver, Santana will be a great lineup. I use the same thing for the Red Sox. They have Matsuzaka and Schilling, which trump Bonderman and Verlander, if ever so slightly. And I see the lineup in the Red Sox being more consistent with their OBP.
Mets over Dodgers becasue I feel the Mets are the best team in the NL, and Cardinals over Phillies, because Phillies have good pitching depth now, but no front line pitchers.
I like the Angels over the Red Sox because I like their bullpen a lot better. Shields, Speier, and K-Rod is just as good as Lowe, Soriano, Putz was last year. I also think Kotchman will have a good year. I picked Mets oves over Cards because I don't think the Cardinals have enough bats to make it to the World Series. Pujols and Rolen are great, but with no one else really, defense nad pitching will only get them so far.
Angels over Mets because the Angels have better pitching on all accounts. Pelfrey will be good by now, but I like the Angels all-around team. The only fault for the Angels is if Colon never puts it together, and Weaver has a sophomore slump, but Colon threw 94 mph recently, and with Escobar in the bullpen for the playoffs, this team is even better.

1 comment:

Andoverjon said...

I agree. the angels should be pretty sick this year if things go well.