Tuesday, January 2, 2007

NFL Playoffs Preview

Well, the NFL playoffs have started and the first week has some intriguing matchups. Even the teams that have first round buys have some question marks (Rex Grossman, Philip Rivers). Some teams have looked good going into the playoffs such as the Ravens and the Eagles, others have limped in like the Cowboys and Seahawks. I will give an analysis of the Week One games and an overall prediction.

NFC games:

Eagles vs. Giants
I have hated the Eagles all year and will always hate them. I like what Garcia brings to the table and his doing well shows that he is NOT done AND that McNabb is overrated and a product of a pass happy system (Andy Reid is the owner of the highest percentage of passing plays per play out of ANY coach EVER.)
The Giants have the talent. They have 2 good running backs, a promising QB who will always be overrated, and a talented defense although they have some injuries (Strahan and others I think).

I'm picking the Giants based on talent and on the fact that I hate the Eagles.

Cowboys vs. Seahawks:
Seahawks have 2 things going for them. They played well the last two games, handily beating the Bucs on the road and nearly beating the Chargers. The defense has been playing better although the secondary is beat up. Hasselbeck is starting to look better. Alexander is still mediocre.
Cowboys are looking like CRAP. Romo has 15 turnovers in the past 5 games, 8 INTs and 7 fumbles. Also, the Cowboys pass defense has been CRAP as well. They let up over 3 passing TDs a game in the last 4. Just look how Michael "I can't pass at ALL and shouldn't be a quarterback in the NFL" Vick did against them (230 yds for 4 TDs).
Finally, this game is IN SEATTLE, so I say Seattle wins.

AFC games:

Colts vs. Chiefs:
For some reason, ESPN has picked this game as the most likely upset. Lets be honest, the Chiefs are LUCKY to be in the playoffs no matter what their idiot of a head coach says. When you have to have 3 other teams lose on the final day to get into the playoffs, there is a certain luck factor. That said, the Colts look like CRAP lately losing to HOUSTON in Week 16. Larry Johnson should tear up the Colts pathetics run defense, but I think the Colts will get out to an early lead and that will be it for them. Colts by more than a touchdown.

Jets vs. Pats:
I don't know why people picked this as the LEAST likely upset. Didn't the Jets beat the Pats this season AT Gillette Stadium. However, that was a while ago. The Jets have a rookie coach going against the heralded Belichik and the wonder-hero/hunk Tom Brady. I hate the Pats but I'm going to have to pick the Pats as well, but not by as much as everyone thinks.

For the whole playoff picture, I like the Seahawks (biased, I know) or the Saints in to represent the NFC and the Chargers or the Ravens to represent the AFC.

Overall, I'll pick Ravens over whoever in the NFC.

No comments: