Thursday, April 5, 2007

Fearsome Foursome from Florida decide to leave

So it's official. The four juniors are going to leave. I was going to write a piece on this sooner, but it was mainly going to be about how good Corey Brewer is, and Bill Simmons beat me to the punch. http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/page2/blog/entry?id=2824207&searchName=simmons
I like how Simmons always tries to soiund smart, but shows off his own ignorance in the process. For instance, he talks about how Julian Wright disappeared in his final two games, and how he needs to go back to school. First of all, he already said he was going back to school, he promised his parents he'd graduate, and he is getting his degree in three years, and second of all, he didn't do well against UCLA or SIU, both great defensive schools.
Simmons does this a lot (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/070405&sportCat=mlb). In this piece, he says the difference between the Red Sox and the Royals are that the Sox pay $104 million for a #3 starter, whereas the Royals give a anxiety disorder guy another chance. First of all, Matsuzaka isn't really a number 3 starter. He's their best starting pitcher already. Second of all, Greinke is a great prospect. Before the disorder, he was going to be their number one starter at a very young age. He is good enough to be on the Red Sox or Yankees roster, easily. Anyways, Simmons is just one of many writers who you like at first, then become more and more annoyed with, though I think the Red Sox becoming the new Yankees, and the Pats winning 3 SB makes him more annoying.
Anyways, of interest in his piece was the fact that Noah is 22 already. This lowers his stock drastically in my mind. The Final Four was a great stock-rasier for Brewer. I knew he was a great defender, and a pretty good slasher, but after the Final Four, everyone saw that he can shoot really well, and is pretty good at handling the ball, like a point forward. So what he seems like, is a Rashard Lewis, who can play great defense.
NBA Draft Rankings:
1. Greg Oden
His only weakness was offense and intensity, and he proved that he could do that and provide shut-down defense in the process, while going against 4 future NBA forwards.
2. Kevin Durant
I don't know why the Oden/Durant discussion is such a big topic, if you don't get Oden, you get an amazing player in Durant. Who would you rather have, Bill Russell with more offense, or a mix between McGrady and Kevin Garnett?
3. Corey Brewer
From barely lottery, to 3 overall? Definitely. Rashard Lewis with excellent defense? Yes please, sign me up. I was hoping the Sonics could get him, but he might have raised his stock too high. He's a great fit for when Rashard Lewis leaves, and he would help some of our defensive problems.
4. Al Horford
Not quite as good as Elton Brand, but he is 2 inches taller. He looks to be good, and if you saw him in the Purdue game, he was dominant and unstoppable. He has more offensive moves than you'd think.
5. Yi Jianlian
More on him later, but this kid can play. His "flaws" are the he isn't too strong, he can't shoot threes well, and he is a little sloppy fundamentally. I don't know, after watching tons of videos on him, I can seem being KG-lite. He's quick, tall, good dunker, fairly good all-around offensively. Of course he could be 23 already, but he could be only 20. Assuming his parents were married in 1985, and didn't conceive yet, he is probably 22 or 21. Which means to me that he is pretty damn good. He played pretty well against Team USA last time, and he has all the lookings of a future all-star.
6. Acie Law IV
I don't know why he's rated so low. He plays pretty good defense, he is a great distributor, great teammate, good shooter, and great hustler. I'd love to have him on my team. He's like Steve Nash, good passer until the end, he takes over and shoots a lot and makes a lot of clutch shots.
7. Jeff Green
Sure he disappeared in the last game, but he can be a great player, and has great all-around game. Many people liken him to Brandon Roy, and I think this is an accurate comparison.
8. Brandan Wright
I'm not too high on him. I don't know why everyone loves a 6'9" 220 pound PF with a big wingspan. I'd actually probably draft him earlier, but I'm knocking him down for now.
9. Spencer Hawes
Better than Noah. He is a great passer, great shot-blocker, and he has an array of offensive moves that makes you think wow. Sure he's not that athletic, but I think he'll be a solid center, especially if he lifts a bit more.
10. Thaddeus Young
I've heard about him for years. I think he'll be pretty good, but I'd rather be sure if he came back for another year. 6-8, super smart, and really athletic, so he looks like a good prospect.
11. Al Thornton
I love this guy, another super athletic 6'7" small forward. He had dominant numbers, he can score in myriad ways, and he is a good rebounder too. I'm not sure if he's as athletic as Marion, but he is not a bad comparison.
12. Marcus Williams
He took over games at times, and will be a great SF as well. I like this guy, and I think his numbers could have been a lot better if he had chose to be more of a ball hog, or if he was on another team.
13. Roy Hibbert
I think he's a big stiff. He'll be good for rebounds because of his size, and he gets a ton of blocks, but he's not too athletic. He's good because 7'2" guys are hard to come by, and his offensive skills are better than I though, but I can't get forget about his lack of athleticism.
14. Joakim Noah
He's 6'11" and can pass, block and rebound, so he's not that bad. But he couldn't guard Oden at all. I think he's lost his luster because his main attribute now is his "fire for the game".
Left off the list:
I don't think Conley Jr. is going to the NBA. He' d be at around 10 if he was. He needs to work on shooting, otherwise he's just going to be Andre Miller or TJ Ford. He could be a Chris Paul, and that's a pretty big difference.
I was once low on Josh McRoberts, but he actually performed pretty well last year. He will be a solid 3rd player, and he still has upside, so who knows, he could be good eventually. I wouldn't mind trading down and getting him, if we needed a pf, which we don't.
Nick Young is just on the cusp. I think he can be pretty good. He's a great all around player, and perhaps the best scorer in the Pac-10. I might put him higher later, but I'm not sure how athletic he is.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hawes and Marcus Williams just declared for the draft. Neither will hire an Agent yet.

Anonymous said...

I agree that Noah's draft stock has dropped, but not to 14th. Maybe 8-10th at the very lowest.

The MixRaptor said...

I'd have to agree. If Noah drops below 6, I'd be surprised.

Unknown said...

Yeah, I didn't rank them on what NBA teams would or a mock draft scenario, Just who I'd take over who.
Right now, I'd definetley take Hawes or Al Thornton over Noah. I just don't seem him being a graet pro. His max potentail seems to be 14 10 2 with 1.5 blocks. Who knows though, he could just be deferring to his teammates, and maybe he'll just blow up when he hits the pros. I definetley think being on a team like the Suns would help him a lot.
And the more I read on Al Thornton, the more I like him. He's Marion minus the rebounds.

The MixRaptor said...

Yeah, though I gotta think that Hawes will need a massive size upgrade before he's ready to play in the NBA. He can barely rebound on the college level.